+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inverted subs

yeah me too. im rady for the amps to be up front so they can get some air. the dont like being stuck betwwen the seat and box. they get very hot

Source unit is a Power Acustik PTID-8310brt cheap off brand flip out 8.3 screen.
    2 obsidian 12d4's 3.6^3 tuned to 33hz.
    Lows- soundstream rub 1.2500, 2 obsidian 12d4's 4^f enclosure @33hz
    highs- soundstream rub 4.600, 2 MB quart pvl 6.5 componants in front doors and 1'' mb quart wide sphere tweets in the front dash, and mb quart onx 6.5 mids in rear.
    clarion eqs746
    you tube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/obsidianbasshead/feed

I bet so. If you need to you could probably just use a few distribution blocks to extend the cables to reach. I wouldn't really like doing that but it would be easier to pulling all the wiring out and redoing it.
    What I got
    -10 Skar VVX 10's
    -Crescendo bc3500
    -350A Singer alt
    -2 XS D3100's
    -150ft JL OFC 1/0
    -240sq ft 60mil Audio Technix

Ya ill think of something. I think its gonna be the grounds that'll be the prob. They're short. Guess I have an excuse to buy some new wire lol.

Source unit is a Power Acustik PTID-8310brt cheap off brand flip out 8.3 screen.
    2 obsidian 12d4's 3.6^3 tuned to 33hz.
    Lows- soundstream rub 1.2500, 2 obsidian 12d4's 4^f enclosure @33hz
    highs- soundstream rub 4.600, 2 MB quart pvl 6.5 componants in front doors and 1'' mb quart wide sphere tweets in the front dash, and mb quart onx 6.5 mids in rear.
    clarion eqs746
    you tube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/obsidianbasshead/feed

At least it is just the grounds, that wouldn't be too bad to replace.
    What I got
    -10 Skar VVX 10's
    -Crescendo bc3500
    -350A Singer alt
    -2 XS D3100's
    -150ft JL OFC 1/0
    -240sq ft 60mil Audio Technix

There's quite a bit of misinformation in this thread about what to do with the subwoofer wiring. If you inverse mount your subwoofers (which you have done) you need to reverse the polarity of the woofers. AKA: swap all the + speaker wires with all of the - speaker wires at your amplifier. It's easier to do that than it is to re-wire it all at the subwoofers and it has the same effect. If you don't reverse the phase of your subwoofers you will have a big suck out right at the top of your subwoofers bandwidth and the bottom of your mids bandwidth because the area where the two speakers' bandwidth intersects will be out of phase (technically your subwoofers are completely out of phase with the rest of your system but the major impact that has on your overall bandwidth is where the out of phase woofers meet with other speakers that are in phase). Remember crossovers are X dB/octave not a direct cutoff so you're still getting output at 120 Hz if you're crossover is set at 60 Hz with a 12, 18 or 24 dB/octave slope.

Here is a perfect example of what happens when you have one speaker out of phase in a multiple speaker system (ie, a 2-way, 3-way, etc - yes your system is a 3-way if you have a tweeter, mid, and a subwofer). This image shows what happens to the overall response when one speaker is out of phase. In this particular example they swapped the polarity of the tweeter. Look at what happens to the overall frequency response. The same thing is happening with your response but much farther down the audio spectrum if you invert your subwoofer(s) and don't ensure they are properly in phase. AKA: If you don't "reverse" the polarity so they are still in phase when you mount them inverted.

*Image courtesy of Parts Express . com
    Last edited by Electrodynamic; 05-15-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    Electrodynamic
    Co-owner of Obsidian Audio
    Owner of Stereo Integrity

My PM's are disabled!! If you want to contact me please email me (subs@obsidiancaraudio.com)!

154.9 dB in Stock Pro 1 at 2012 SBN with two Obsidian Audio 12" woofers.

so ur sayin if i have 3 subs mounted inverted all together and hooked pos to pos and neg to neg then im out of phase?

there is no cancellation because the subs are moving in the same direction at the same time the only thing i can see being an issue is the travel of the sound wave. if the sound requires to push the sub out then it will be firing into the box versus if it was mounted right they would be firing into the cabin but the bass is still the same.

i have tried it both ways and no difference in sound or meter wise

Quote Originally Posted by BIGJEFF64 View Post
    so ur sayin if i have 3 subs mounted inverted all together and hooked pos to pos and neg to neg then im out of phase?

there is no cancellation because the subs are moving in the same direction at the same time the only thing i can see being an issue is the travel of the sound wave. if the sound requires to push the sub out then it will be firing into the box versus if it was mounted right they would be firing into the cabin but the bass is still the same.

i have tried it both ways and no difference in sound or meter wise
    As I stated above the difference will be in the mating of your front stage and your sub stage. See the above graph and my post in general. Yes there is cancellation - again see the graph. Cancellation between the subwoofers themselves won't be an issue if all of the subs are wired the same way. But if they're wired out of phase with the rest of your system they are still wired out of phase with the rest of your system.

The part I have highlighted is text book reverse polarity. But if you can't hear that a piece of your system is out of phase then don't worry about it.
    Electrodynamic
    Co-owner of Obsidian Audio
    Owner of Stereo Integrity

My PM's are disabled!! If you want to contact me please email me (subs@obsidiancaraudio.com)!

154.9 dB in Stock Pro 1 at 2012 SBN with two Obsidian Audio 12" woofers.

When inverting a sub, the only reason u should switch the positive and negative is if you are putting multiple subs into a common chamber, and some are inverted and some arent. make sure if you have a dual voice coil sub, you wir the coils together normally, but wire the whole sub to the amp with switched polarity. if u arent careful and u wire the sub out of phase between the coils, one of them can blow. i have inverted subs before and honestly, the only real reason to invert one, is for looks. it doesnt make a noticable defferance and somtimes you can hear the mechanics moving a lot more which can get annoying

Quote Originally Posted by jonahdcook View Post
    When inverting a sub, the only reason u should switch the positive and negative is if you are putting multiple subs into a common chamber, and some are inverted and some arent. make sure if you have a dual voice coil sub, you wir the coils together normally, but wire the whole sub to the amp with switched polarity. if u arent careful and u wire the sub out of phase between the coils, one of them can blow. i have inverted subs before and honestly, the only real reason to invert one, is for looks. it doesnt make a noticable defferance and somtimes you can hear the mechanics moving a lot more which can get annoying
    agreed but inverted subs especially in 4th or 6th order designs can be better to detect possible sub failure or to have a smaller sealed section in those setups but in a regular ported setup it would be a wow factor only IMO

weird....i gained a 0.3-0.4 db on meter just by inverting my single 18" and turning my 0-180 phase control on amp to the 180 direction....but obviously you arent going to hear that little of an audible difference in that 0.3-0.4 db gain....but i will say it handles the lows better inverted but i may have been stuffing the sub out with 6.75cu/ft
    2013 Infiniti g25x awd
    Stock h/u with AudioControl Lc7i
    Mids/Highs- PPi bk800.4 powering Tantric 6.5" comps up front & Morel Tempo 6.5" in rear
    Sub amp & Sub- Sundown saz2500 on an x12 tuned to 30hz
    Interstate mt7 AGM underhood and XS xp3000 in trunk all 1/0 AT ofc

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information